Can I get a County Road Map?

County Road Maps are available through our office. The first map is free and cost $2.50 per additional map.

Do I need a permit to install a culvert or work in the road right of way?

Yes, the Ohio Revised Code requires the County to approve and supervise all work performed within County Right of Way. See the Forms page on this website for applications.

Does the County Engineer govern the Township Trustees?

No, the County Engineer can act as an engineering advisor for Township Trustees but does not oversee their operations in any way.

Does the County Engineer issue building permits?

No. Contact the County Commissioner’s office for information pertaining to building codes and zoning.

How do I get a new house number for a mailing address?

Assigning rural house numbers is the responsibility of the Belmont County 911 Center. They can be contacted at 740-699-0399.

How is the Engineer’s Office funded?

The Engineer’s Office receives the majority of its funding from two sources: A portion of the gasoline tax and a portion of the license plate fee.  In addition, the Engineer actively applies for state and federal grants.  We receive NO revenue from property taxes or sales taxes.  The County Commissioners have also contributed from their general fund, but they are not required to contribute anything towards road and bridge maintenance.

How many bridges are there in Belmont County?

There are 280 bridges on township and county roads. A “bridge” is defined as being a structure over 10 feet long as measured between the abutments. The longest bridge on the County Engineer’s inventory is 200 feet in length and spans McMahon Creek just outside of the village of Bellaire.

How many miles of county roads are there in Belmont County?

The Belmont County Engineer is responsible for 301 miles of roadway. This is a mix of paved, gravel and shoot & chip roads.

What is the Right of Way for my road?

Right-of-way is the land that a public road occupies.  It generally measured a certain distance from the center of the traveled road and usually includes the ditches, culverts and banks.  The width of road rights-of-way vary depending on the year that the road was originally surveyed and established. Roads in Belmont County can date back to 1803. The minimum right of way is 30 feet (measured 15 feet from the center of the road) with the maximum being 60 feet (measured 30 feet from the center of the road).

When will my road be paved?

Current funding doesn’t allow for a yearly paving schedule.  The Engineer’s Office has had success recently working with the oil and gas industry to get some roads paved, and even a few bridges replaced.  In addition, the County Commissioners have funded some road and guardrail projects.  We will continue to pave roads whenever funding is available.

Why is my deed description stamped “POOR”?

A deed description can be stamped POOR for a variety of reasons. Ultimately the property will need to be surveyed and a new description filed to correct this situation.

Why isn’t there enough funding for paving?

Over the past several years, our revenue has remained fairly stagnant while material and labor costs have soared.  The problem isn’t just here in Belmont County; cities, counties, and villages all over the country are facing the same issue.  See the chart below for a brief explanation of what rising prices have done here in Belmont County.

Will the County Engineer clean my creek?

No. The County Engineer can only expend funds on public roadways and bridges under his jurisdiction. Creeks and streams are on private property and are the responsibility of the land owner.

More Frequently Asked Questions coming soon!